Tue. Jul 23rd, 2024

White House rejects Netanyahu criticism for withholding weapons from Israel

By 37ci3 Jun19,2024


The United States says it doesn’t know what the Israeli prime minister is talking about.

On Tuesday, the Biden administration denied Benjamin NetanyahuAccusing Washington of “withholding weapons and ammunition” from its close ally “over the past few months.” The Israeli leader hinted that this was a hindrance to his army’s ongoing offensive Gazanow targeting the southern city of Rafah.

“We really don’t know what he’s talking about. We just don’t know,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said. a shipment of heavy bombs had been intercepted Since the start of the war, billions of dollars in arms have continued to flow into Israel.

United Nations Human Rights Office on Wednesday said that The laws of war are likely to have been “consistently violated” by the Israeli military’s ongoing assault on the Palestinian enclave using heavy bombs.

The new assessment comes as some attention is focused north on Israel’s border with Lebanon, where the U.S. has sought to avoid all-out war as the Hezbollah militant group, backed by both Israel and Iran, has stepped up its exchange of fire and rhetoric.

Netanyahu directed his criticism to a video statement Broadcast on X, he said he discussed the issue of concealed weapons Anthony Blinken Secretary of State recently Visit to Israel.

“I said that I deeply appreciate the support that the United States has given to Israel since the beginning of the war,” Netanyahu says in the video, speaking directly to the camera in English. “But I also said something else. I said that it is unthinkable that the administration has not provided weapons and ammunition to Israel in the last few months.”

Netanyahu did not say exactly what weapons were being held, but he said Blinken assured him that the United States would work to “remove these obstacles.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks at a state memorial service in Tel Aviv on June 18, 2024.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke at the state memorial service held in Tel Aviv on Tuesday.Shaul Golan / AFP – Getty Images

At a press briefing on Tuesday, Blinken said he would not discuss what was said during the diplomatic talks with Netanyahu. But he claimed there was “no change” in the White House’s position.

“Our position is, again, to make sure that Israel has everything it needs to defend itself against these multiple threats,” he said. Two top Democrats in Congress have allowed the $15 billion US sale of F-15s to Israel to move forward after a delay. Associated Press.

Blinken noted that there was “an incident” that NBC News reported in May intercepted a large shipment of offensive weapons to Israel as a sign of growing concern over Israel’s plans to launch a military offensive in Rafah.

Then President Joe Biden He threatened to stop supplies to the United States If Israel were to proceed with a full-scale attack, certain weapons ProsperityThe southern Gaza city was once considered a safe zone.

Washington claims that the Israeli army has not crossed Israel’s red lines despite the fact that it has started an intensified campaign in Rafah. with fatal consequences.

Blinken said the administration continues to review “one shipment” that was held up, but that “everything is proceeding as normal.”

He stressed that these processes may take time.

Jean-Pierre also said at a press briefing that the shipment of heavy bombs was the only one being delayed, adding that the US was in “constructive discussions” with Israel about the transfer.

Netanyahu’s office declined to comment.

The latest clash between the two allies comes as Netanyahu faces domestic pressure over the fate of the war.

Israel has warned that it may soon launch a new attack on the northern border with Lebanon increase in military operations with Hezbollah.

An Israeli army tank rolls into position in an area along Israel's southern border with the Palestinian Gaza Strip on June 18, 2024.
An Israeli army tank rolled into position along Israel’s southern border with the Gaza Strip on Tuesday.Jack Guez / AFP – Getty Images

The US and France are working on a negotiated settlement, and Netanyahu met with US envoy Amos Hochstein earlier this week.

But the Israeli military said on Tuesday that “operational plans for an attack in Lebanon” had been “confirmed and confirmed”.

Meanwhile, Hezbollah released footage of what it said were parts of the city of Haifa, just under 20 miles from the Lebanese border, which it said had been captured by Israeli surveillance planes, including the sea and airports.

Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz responded post X said that Israel is “very close to deciding to change the rules of the game with Hezbollah and Lebanon.”

“In a full-scale war, Hezbollah will be destroyed and Lebanon will be hit hard.

It comes as Israeli forces continue their assault on Gaza, which has killed more than 37,000 people, local health authorities said. According to Israeli officials, Israel launched an attack on the enclave after Hamas attacks on October 7, in which about 1,200 people were killed and about 250 people were taken hostage.



Source link

By 37ci3

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *