Sat. Jul 20th, 2024

Injured from aid convoy violence had gunshot wounds, U.N. says

By 37ci3 Mar2,2024


The ship, which was previously attacked by Houthi rebels in Yemen, sank in the Red Sea

A ship attacked by Houthi rebels in Yemen has sunk in the Red Sea after taking on water for days, officials said Saturday.

Rubymar was in drag after the attack in February. It is the first ship the Houthis have sunk in months of attacks on shipping in the vital waterway.

Yemen’s internationally recognized government, as well as a regional military official, confirmed the sinking of the ship. He spoke on condition of anonymity in order not to publish official information.

Rubymar’s manager in Beirut could not be reached for comment.

UN workers say 12-year-old children were injured in the aid attack

UN workers treating hundreds of people injured during Israel’s attack on a crowd of people seeking aid in Gaza said they saw amputations in hospitals, people injured by bullets and injured children as young as 12 years old.

According to the Ministry of Health, 115 people died and more than 700 people were injured during the attack on Al-Rashid Street in Gaza City.

Israel says the shooting was aimed at a small group of people who posed an unclear threat to the soldiers, although its account has been hotly contested by witnesses and doctors at local hospitals.

“These events cannot be allowed to continue,” an aid worker said in a video on the official X account of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). He added that more than 200 people are being treated for injuries in Al-Shifa hospital alone.

The aid convoy was the first joint mission by OCHA, the World Health Organization and UNICEF in months, bringing fuel, medicine, vaccines and scarce food to the north of the strip, he said.

Ceasefire talks, which have made progress in Cairo, will continue over the weekend

Egyptian security sources said today that Gaza ceasefire talks are to resume in Cairo on Sunday.

The parties agreed on the duration of the Gaza ceasefire, the release of hostages and prisoners, and added that an agreement on the withdrawal of Israeli forces from northern Gaza and the return of residents is still needed to complete the deal.

The death toll in Gaza has exceeded 30,300

According to the Ministry of Health, the death toll in Gaza has exceeded 30,300, and more than 71,000 people have been injured.

The death toll in the strip is an estimate, as rapidly depleting health, demographic and search-and-rescue resources make accurate estimates of casualties difficult. Another 7,000 people are missing and presumed dead in the rubble.

Speaking at a congressional hearing yesterday, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin estimated the number of women and children dead in Gaza alone at “more than 25,000” and called for a “credible plan” to protect civilians in the southern city of Rafah. Any land invasion of Israel.

A UN spokesman said “a large number” of aid seekers hospitalized in al-Shifa suffered gunshot wounds

UN Secretary-General’s spokesman Stephane Dujarric told a press briefing that “a large number” of the wounded were seen by UN teams at al-Shifa hospital after Israel’s deadly attack on people gathering for meals in Gaza.

Answering questions about the number of people who died as a result of the shooting during the attack, Dujarric said that although the UN teams in Gaza have not yet “examined the bodies” of the dead, the teams have seen many people injured by the shooting in the hospital.

The Israeli military denied firing on hungry people in the Nabulsi district of Gaza City on Thursday. They later said that most of the people were crushed to death or crushed by trucks trying to escape. He claims he only opened fire on a small group of people who threatened the soldiers, although they did not specify what the threat was.

Health workers of local hospitals said that most of the dead they received had gunshot wounds. According to Gaza’s Ministry of Health, 112 people died and more than 750 were injured in the attack.

Biden announced that the United States will send food aid by air to Gaza as hunger worries increase

WASHINGTON – President Joe Biden announced on Friday that the United States will cut food aid to the Gaza Strip, saying humanitarian aid to the region is not enough for the Palestinians.

“The aid flowing into Gaza is not nearly enough…lives are at stake,” Biden said during an Oval Office meeting with Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni announcing his decision on the airstrikes.

“We need to buy hundreds of trucks, not just a few,” he said. “We’re going to pull out every stop we can.”

The president reiterated that the United States is urgently trying to push Ceasefire between Hamas and Israel Allowing more aid to Gaza, where “innocent people” are dying.

Read the full story here.

Most Palestinians injured in aid convoy incident were hit or wounded by artillery fire, doctor says

A doctor at Al-Shifa Medical Complex in northern Gaza said most of the wounded Palestinians brought in for treatment after Thursday’s deadly aid convoy incident had been shot.

“Most of these injuries are injuries caused by bullets, artillery shells and tank shell explosions,” ER Dr. Mohamed Mahmoud Eghrab said. “Most of the injuries were in the upper part of the body, in the head, chest and abdomen. Most of the injured were seriously injured. About 70% of the injured needed surgery.”

The Palestinian Ministry of Health has accused Israel of firing on a crowd of people seeking food from aid trucks in Gaza, killing more than 100 people. The Israeli military has denied firing on those seeking help and disputed the death toll, with the majority of those killed. they died in the crowd.

Eghrab said there are only two operating rooms in Al-Shifa, so medical staff have to prioritize patients based on the severity of their condition.

“Unfortunately, due to lack of medicine, lack of oxygen and lack of medical supplies, many of these patients die while waiting to be operated on,” Eghrab said.

As a result of the incident on Al-Rashid Street, a large number of dead and injured people entered the medical complex. Egrab said that so far more than 70 people have been killed and more than 500 injured, and these are just the casualties in Al-Shifa.

Eghrab said some of the victims were trampled and wounded, while most were shot.

“Maybe a few of them were trampled and pushed, but the trampling itself happened after the shooting by the Israeli occupation forces,” Egrab said.

Some Biden administration officials have criticized the White House’s “Hunger Games”-style response to the massacre.

Some Biden administration officials, all of whom are political appointees, are expressing anger at President Joe Biden’s handling of the deaths of Palestinian civilians in Gaza on Thursday while awaiting food aid.

Several of them made statements to NBC News. The employees all asked to remain anonymous because they fear retaliation for opposing the administration’s stance on the Israel-Hamas war.

“To say there are two versions of what happened when we have video evidence of what happened is absolutely disgusting. … From pastors, unions and veterans to members of Congress, President Biden is out of touch with the reality that the majority of this country supports a permanent ceasefire,” the statement said.

“Thursday morning we all woke up to a ‘Hunger Games’-style carnage that weaponized hunger and killed over a hundred people, and this administration’s response is, ‘Should we get the information straight?’ This is confusing,” the statement said. “President Biden has the unique power to mitigate the damage through the established processes of international law and robust diplomacy, not through futile back-channel negotiations.”

The Palestinian Ministry of Health has accused Israel of firing into a crowd of people seeking aid and killing more than 100 people. The Israeli army denied that it opened fire on those seeking help and said that most of the dead were killed in the crowd.

The statement is the latest addition to growing calls from within the administration for Biden to demand a ceasefire and reassess Israel’s stance on the war with Hamas.

Since the war began on October 7, a number of efforts have been launched from within the government to push for an escalation of the conflict, including hundreds of former Biden 2020 campaign staff, Muslim and Jewish congressional staffers and more than 400 Biden administration letters. having employees signed an open letter in November requires a cease-fire.



Source link

By 37ci3

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *