WASHINGTON – Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin was released Monday after more than two weeks at Walter Reed Military Hospital, the Pentagon said in a statement.
“I am grateful for the excellent care I received at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and want to thank the outstanding doctors and nurses for their professionalism and support,” he said. “Now that I am recovering and continuing to perform my duties from home, I am eager to make a full recovery and return to the Pentagon as soon as possible.”
Austin had been hospitalized since January 1 with complications from prostate cancer treatment. He and his staff waited days to tell the White House, top national security officials and even some senior Pentagon officials about the hospitalization.
In a statement, the two doctors who cared for him at Walter Reed said Austin was “progressing well” and “regaining strength.”
“He underwent a series of medical tests and evaluations and received non-surgical care during his stay to address his medical needs, including some lingering leg pain. He was discharged with scheduled physical therapy and regular follow-up. The secretary is expected to make a full recovery,” said Dr. John Maddox and Dr. Gregory Chesnutt.